The Uganda Federation for Alternative Trade (UGAFAT) is a membership network for fair trade producers and organizations in Uganda. The network was established in 2008 is linked at the region level to the Cooperation for Fair Trade in Africa (COFTA) and to the World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO) at the global level.
UGAFAT envisions a sustainable improvement of livelihoods of producers through fair trade.
To enable producers to improve their way of living through fair trade and its work is centered on three areas:
- Product and Market development for fair trade
- Fair trade monitoring and building trust in fair trade.
- Information access through regular communication, collection and dissemination to information.
- To improve on trade between regions i.e African regions and other continents thus creating new markets in the different regions.
- To build and improve relations between member groups for better production capacity an production quality through constant monitoring and peer review.
- To speak out for fair Trade by creating a strong network of Ugandan Fair Traders sharing best practices and information about Fair Trade.
- To create demand for and awareness of Uganda's unique products in the global market place thus taking advantage of our cultural diversity.
- To strengthen membership within the Fair Trade federation by recruiting new members and encouraging them to subscribe to UGAFAT.
- To improve on the livelihood of the producers and members through Fair Trade.
- To advocate for Fair Trade policies in favor of disadvantaged producers within Uganda and Africa region.